Where is the first storey building in Nigeria located.
This historically famous building is located in Badagry, Lagos State. Built by the Anglican Missionaries in 1845, three years after it’s foundation was laid in 1842, it continues to be a site of historical significance because of continued maintenance and preservation of originality.
Inside this building, Nigeria’s first educational institution, The Nursery of Infant Church, was established in 1843 by the Wesleyan Mission. Years after, in 1845 it became St. Thomas’ Anglican Nursery and Primary School, initiated by a member of the Church Missionary society, Rev Golmer.
The Storey Building in Nigeria is Now Aged 170 Years Old.
The structure was occupied by Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African C.M.S Bishop when he undertook the translation of the Holy Bible from English to Yoruba. It was also used as Vicarage for saint Thomas Anglican church.
It attracts many visitors every year. The foundation of the building was laid in 1842 while the house was completed in 1845. The one-storey building has its corrugated iron sheet roof overlooking the marina waterfront.
It is the most popular mission house in Badagry because the first sets of missionaries in Nigeria settled at the building. The rooms has six big rooms, four stores, two big sitting rooms, and a safe where precious items are kept.
History also has it that it was a place where returnee slaves lodged. Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a returnee slave lived in one of the rooms of the building. From the outside, the building looks old and frail but the wooden staircase looks as strong as ever. In the upper floor of the building, there is a glass containing the English and Yoruba versions of the bible that was translated by Bishop.