President of the Nigeria Basketball Federation, Musa Ahmadu-Kida, has revealed that they have established a better working relationship with the Ministry of Youths and Sports Development as they intend to carry out their plans for the next four years.
The board which was elected in Benin, Edo State on January 31, had their second executive board meeting on Saturday in Lagos with secretary-general of the federation Afolabi-Oluwayemi Olabisi in attendance which showed that the board has been recognised by the sports ministry.
The Ahmadu-Kida-led board of the NFF had been at loggerheads with the sports ministry since 2021, a situation which escalated to the extent of postponing the election into the board of the federation originally scheduled to hold in last October.
Two parallel polls held January 30 in Abuja and Benin City produced two boards headed by Mark Igoche and incumbent Musa Ahmadu-Kida respectively, further extending the leadership crisis that bedeviled the federation in the last five years.
Although the sports ministry is yet to publicly back either the election in Benin or Abuja, Ahmadu-Kida says they have sent their report to the ministry and the presence of the secretary-general of the federation in attendance during their board meeting in Lagos on Saturday showed that things were working well between the bodies.
“It is true that FIBA has written to us on March 7, they asked me to complete the names of the board members from the elections that were held in Benin which I have done,” Ahmadu-Kida told the press in Lagos.
“It is true also that if you’re looking for an official sign or a notice from the ministry that this board is recognised, we don’t have that but we have submitted our report and they (ministry) say they are studying in all in a way to come out with a position but the fact that we are able to meet and the Secretary-General of the federation who is a ministry staff and her assistant are here means the ministry is already participating in what we do so I would want to say that the relationship we have with the ministry is brighter than what we used to have in the past.
“We as a board have no interest in contesting with the ministry in its own sphere of constituted imputes. They have their supervisory and statutory job to do but they have allowed us to constitute ourselves,” Ahmadu-Kida added.
Kida has also revealed that there are plans in place as regards the start of the men’s, women’s and the lower division leagues.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]